The aluminum extrusion process has always been a green process that has high sustainability. New changes in technology are working to improve the process even more through higher yield and lower costs.
Aluminum extrusion uses a process in which a billet, a solid cylindrical metal form, is heated then pressed into a die to form a product from a pre-fabricated design.
Aluminum Extrusion Goes Green
Current aluminum extrusion provides attractive green characteristics including:
• A lower weight product with higher strength per weight
• Versatility in use due to noncorrosive, nontoxic and heated malleability properties.
• Unlimited recycling ability, without any detriment to the product.
• Lower energy use for the recycling of product. (It takes 5% to 10% of energy to recycle aluminum as it does to obtain it from its bauxite ore.)
• Cost effective transport due to lower weight.
• Less scrap and waste left behind at the end of extrusion.
• Materials left behind can be recycled in the future use of making billets.
Streamlining the Recycling Process with Extrusions
Through research and improvements, scientists are working to streamline the recycling process by using extrusion instead of traditional melting methods for recycling aluminum.
Melting methods have higher energy costs due to high-temperature heating and lower yields of recycled metal. Scientists are working with a solid state recycling extrusion process, which uses less energy and yields higher amounts of recycled metal.
Contact Custom Aluminum Extrusion Manufacturers, Getec
Getec is a custom aluminum extrusion manufacturer that strives to combine cost efficient quality products with a green attitude. Unlike other custom aluminum extrusion companies, Getec performs each stage of the aluminum extrusion process on site, from recycling to customized manufacturing to direct sales.
Since all work is done at Getec, their constant supervision leads to a high quality, green product you can afford, trust and be proud to purchase.